Urban Outfitters have found themselves in the midst of a huge controversy surrounding a brand of shampoo available in their stores. The ‘suicide shampoo’ as it was known, received loads of harsh criticism from customers that shop in the U.K. shops. The shampoo is a product of the Anatomicals brand Peachy Head. The shampoo is called the Peach Shampoo for Suicidal Hair. The shampoo’s product description especially brought questionable thoughts to many customers, as the bottle read: “I never knew my once beautiful hair would actually commit suicide by tossing itself off dramatic white cliffs to the rocks below. Now look at me, completely bald. Before it’s too late, bring your locks back from a state of complete depression with this conditioning peach shampoo.”
Many of Urban Outfitter’s customers took to social media to air their grievances about the shampoo bottle. Customers questioned the reasoning behind supporting a shampoo with such a stark message, especially with so many young girls shopping at Urban Outfitters. Due to the heavy criticism that they received, Urban Outfitters decided to completely pull all of the shampoo bottles off their shelves. Although the gesture was a step in the right direction, many women couldn’t help but feel that the damage was already done, especially with the rising suicide rates amongst young girls in the U.K. One Twitter user even suggested for Urban Outfitters to donate to a suicide prevention charity in order to help mediate the situation further.
What do you guys think of the Urban Outfitters shampoo scandal?
There’s nothing more satisfying than indulging in a delicious salad during lunchtime. Salads are the perfect midday meal because they’ll leave you satisfied until dinner time, but you won’t feel overly bloated and full. If you’re looking for a new salad recipe to try out, then this Greek green bean salad one is a great choice. The salad is incredibly crisp and fresh and you’ll feel ready to take on the rest of the day! This easy to make salad only takes a total of 15 minutes to create and then you’ll be in food heaven.
What You’ll Need For The Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley or dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
Ingredients For The Salad
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- fresh parsley chopped, to garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, oregano, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper and set aside to allow the flavors to meld.
- Trim ends off green beans and cut in half, if desired.
- Fill a medium pot with water and set to boil on high.
- Set aside a medium bowl of ice water.
- Once water is at a rolling boil, add green beans and cook for 3-5 minutes or until they reach ideal tenderness.
- Drain and immediately submerge beans in ice bath to halt the cooking process.
- Combine green beans with red pepper and tomatoes and toss with dressing to coat.
- Top with crumbled feta and fresh parsley to garnish.
Recipe courtesy of: walmart.com
Have you been on the lookout for an out of this world recipe to fill you up during the middle of the day? We may not realize it, but our lunchtime meal is incredibly important to maintaining a healthy diet and functioning metabolism. However, packing the same old boring sandwich day in and day out can become quite tiresome and boring. In fact, you may not even look forward to lunchtime at all anymore. So, instead of boring yourself into a food coma, why not ? This flatbread dish will surely become your next favorite lunchtime dish!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large flatbreads
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 fresh, ripe peaches
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil (about 6-8 leaves)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Grabbing a deep skillet, pour in the balsamic vinegar and honey and then place the skillet over a medium heat.
- Cook and allow the ingredients to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Brush the flatbreads with olive oil and then layer on thinly sliced mozzarella cheese and peaches.
- Bake in the oven for about 4-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven and then sprinkle the chopped basil over. Take what is left of the balsamic mixture and drizzle it over the flatbreads as well.
Recipe courtesy of: tastesbetterfromscratch.com
How many times do so many of us fall off our new healthy lifestyle after being tempted by some of our favorite unhealthy treats or meals? It happens all too often and the frustration we feel afterwards can be so disappointing. Since sticking to our guns, especially with diet changes can be so difficult, we decided to look into a delicious recipe that is the perfect substitute for a slice of pizza. This Pizza Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe will blow you away with how delicious and easy it is to make!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over a medium heat. Sautee the garlic until it’s soft, this should take about a minute. Add in the tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Let it simmer for about 8-10 minutes and then place it off to the side.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle to a medium heat.
- Grabbing two slices of bread spread the sauce evenly on each slice. Top off the bread slice with four ounces of sliced cheese. Place 4-5 basil leaves on top as well.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the slices and season them off with salt & pepper. Place top of bread, sauce side down on cheese and basil. Brush tops with butter.
- Place sandwich butter side down in heated skillet. Brush other side with butter. Cook until golden brown and crispy on each side and the cheese is melted.
Recipe courtesy of: cookingforkeeps.com
Every now and again, a little voice in the back of our heads urges us to completely forget about our healthy eating and just binge on some fast food. This is especially true when it comes to one specific fast food option: pizza. After all, many of us find it almost impossible to give up the cheesy masterpiece. The thing is, you don’t have to give up on your favorite fast food items for life. We all deserve a cheat day, but, if you do feel horrifically guilty after one, then why not pick the healthier route when dining out?
When it comes down to making healthy choices while ordering pizza, the dilemma all comes down to toppings. Lara Metz, RD, founder of Lara Metz Nutrition, spoke out about how to be healthy when eating pizza. She recommends sticking to a thin crust pie and choosing healthier topping options. Some good topping options that she recommends include baby spinach, fresh mushrooms, olives, and diced tomatoes.
“This option has a thinner, lighter crust and less cheese, which translates to less saturated fat and sodium,” Metz says of the healthier pizza options.
Metz states that choosing more veggie toppings also gives you the needed vitamins and minerals that your body needs in the first place. So, if you’ve been dying to have a slice of pizza, allow yourself a treat. Just be sure to stick to some healthier topping options and stay away from the super thick crust pies.
Those of us who grew up fearing and hating a trip to the dentist all know how important it was to avoid sugary candies! Whether it was your favorite Hershey’s chocolate bar or your favorite lollipop, sugary sweets were to be avoided at all costs. But, are you aware of the reason behind it? When there are excessive amounts of sugar compounds found in our oral cavity, various bacteria’s that linger in our mouths can use the sugar to create an acidic environment, thus eroding your teeth and causing a cavity. With that in mind, many people decided to opt for sugar free snack and drinks as well, but as recent research has revealed, sugar free snacks are still eroding your teeth as well.
A research study posted in The Washington Post has found that additives in many of the sugar free items we consume can erode our teeth just as much as sugar can. The University of Melbourne’s Oral Health Cooperative Research Study, where researchers placed human molars in variety of different sugar free snacks and drinks while using real sugar items as the comparison group, published the research. The researchers found that the difference in erosion between the sugar and sugar free items was not significantly different at all. It seems that highly acidic additives in sugar free items were the cause for the erosion on the teeth. So if you’re looking to keep your teeth healthy, then cutting down on sugar altogether may be your best bet after all!
There is truly nothing better in this world than preparing healthy and satisfying meals for you and your loved ones. Eating clean will not only help you look better, but you will also begin to notice a huge difference in the way you feel. Filling our bodies up with vitamins and minerals is the best way to get them functioning their best. Today’s recipe discovery is a creamy strawberry and broccoli salad combination. While at first these two polar opposites could seem a bit odd combined, the flavors they create together are mouth watering. This salad is the perfect summertime dish if you’re looking for something super easy to make that will fill you up instantly! Follow along with the recipe to create this amazing salad for yourself.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 2 medium heads)
- 1 lb strawberries, about 2 cups, sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Grabbing a large bowl, combine the broccoli florets, strawberries, sliced almonds, feta cheese, and red onion.
- Next, create the dressing for the salad by grabbing a different bowl and placing the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, and poppy seeds all together. Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss the salad so that the entire thing is coated. Place in the fridge to chill or serve right away!
Recipe courtesy of: learn.walmart.com
A string of bad news is following the Bumble Bee Canned Tuna products. For those of you who are huge fans of the canned tuna brand, this recent unfortunate news could quickly put a damper on your mood. A press release from the company announced that the brand would be working with the FDA to voluntarily recall some of their canned tuna products. The products include the 5-ounce cans of chunk light tuna and packs of chunk light tuna in water. It seems that problems arose for the company when they were alerted of sterilization problems.
The co-packing facility where the canned tunas undergo sterilization may have allowed the cans to get contaminated. The facility is not affiliated with the Bumble Bee brand, however. These contamination concerns are what caused the sudden recall of the products. Consumption of any of these contaminated canned tunas could result in life-threatening problems. Luckily, no one has reported getting ill from eating any of these contaminated cans. If you are worried that you may have swiped one of the contaminated cans, then it may help to lookout for any cans that were produced in February. The cans that were recalled also featured a numerical code of ten characters, with the first letter beginning with the letter “T”.
In the meantime, it may be safer to just throw out any recently purchase Bumble Bee products until a new shipment finally comes through. If you feel that you may have consumed one of these cans then contact your physician immediately.
For many of us these days, avoiding eating carbs has become a never-ending battle. With so many diets emphasizing just how bad carbohydrates are for us, it can cause us to never want to indulge in carbs ever again. However, what many of these diets seem to forget is that carbs provide our bodies with bountiful amounts of energy. While we don’t suggest you go crazy and binge on a bunch of bread and cake, there are a multitude of healthy carbohydrates available to us. These healthy carbs are filled with fiber and nutrients to get you feeling energized for the day ahead.
If you didn’t know before, you’ll know now that quinoa happens to be a carb, and an amazing one at that. This amazing crop is filled with three grams of dietary fiber in just one cup. Quinoa also contains loads of protein, calcium, manganese, zinc, magnesium, potassium, and even phosphorus.
Get ready to have a healthy and energizing breakfast meal if you partake in this delicious carb. Oatmeal is filled with 19 grams of carbs along with three grams of fiber. Not to mention, oatmeal is a terrific option for those of us looking to lower our cholesterol levels.
With all of the fun ways that you can cook up squash in the kitchen, it’s no wonder that this healthy vegetable is also a great carb to incorporate into your diet. With fiber, minerals, and vitamins all jam-packed into one veggie, you can be sure that your diet will be greatly improved with some energizing squash.
Do you pride yourself on being a multitask queen? Then you’re going to absolutely love this new way to utilize the treadmill. Instead of simply power walking or running your way to a fit body, you can also engage your arms and get a pair of ‘killer guns’. By grabbing a pair of dumbbells and using them during your cardio workout, you can double up the ante in your everyday routine. For this routine, set the treadmill to a comfortable speed and grab a pair of five-pound dumbbells in each hand.
The routine involves three different arm movements: the overhead press, bicep curl, and the bent arm side raise. For the overhead press movement, hold the dumbbells just outside your shoulders making sure that your palms are facing each other. Press the dumbbells up over your head until your arms are completely straightened. Bring them back down to complete one set. For the bicep curl, hold each dumbbell in your hand with your arms stretched out straight at your sides. Pull the right arm up to the front of your shoulder and then bring it back down. Repeat the movement, alternating between each arm. Finally, for the bicep curl, hold the dumbbells up at your side with your elbows bent. Keep your shoulders pressed down and then lift your arms up so that they are out at your side. Be sure to keep your elbows bent throughout the movement. Hold the pose and then release back to start.