If you’re working out on a daily basis (and you should be!), then you’ll know just how stiff and sore your muscles could get after a workout. When working out for a few days straight, our muscles can begin to really get overworked and really need a break to rejuvenate. If you’ve been working your muscles a lot lately, then you’re going to need to engage in some stress relieving stretches. Here are a few hip stretches that will take away any tension in your lower body that may lead up to back problems.
The first stretch is the crossover hip stretch. To begin, simply lie on your back with your back straight while keeping your legs extended. Bend your right knee and place your left foot on the ground. Grab your left ankle and cross it over your right knee. Grab the back of your right thigh and pull your leg in towards your chest. Hold the position for 30 seconds.
The next stretch is the deep squat stand. To start, stand up while keeping your legs wider than hip-width apart. Bend forward and grab your toes with your hands. Drop your body down into a squat position, all the while making sure that your arms are kept straight, your elbows are inside your knees, and your back is flat with your chest up. Keeping your hands on your toes, lift your hips up and straighten your knees until you feel a stretch in the back of your legs. Hold for a few seconds.
More and more
Have you been tempted to stray away from your healthy diet because of unhealthy cravings? Cravings are a hard habit to kick, especially when they take over your thoughts. One of the easiest ways to help curb your cravings is to find an alternative substitute to your favorite dishes. If you happen to be a big pizza lover, but can’t afford to indulge at the moment, then we’ve got an awesome alternative for you. Try out this Zucchini Pizza Bites recipe for a deliciously healthy version of your favorite pizza dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pepperoni minis
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Grabbing a large skillet, heat up the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the zucchini onto the skillet in batches and cook through until golden. That should take about 1-2 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the zucchini pieces onto a large baking sheet. Place the marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni minis onto each zucchini slice.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and allow it to cook until the cheese melted. This should take about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the zucchini pieces. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of: damndelicous.net
More and more
Making sure to partake in some stretches after a full body workout is the best way to ensure that your body won’t be as stiff and sore the next day. Stretching helps to alleviate pain and keep you flexible, improving your overall workout abilities. Take a peek at these body-improving stretches that will have you feeling like a brand new person!
The first stretch is the Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch. This is a fantastic stretch for your quad muscles. Grab your mat and kneel down while bringing your left knee up and then bringing your right leg behind you so that it touches the ground. Place your weight forward, feeling the stretch in your right hip. Hold the pose for about 15 to 30 seconds and then switch legs.
The next stretch is the Calf Stretch. Place yourself in the push-up position and then place one foot on top of the other leg. Place pressure on the leg on the ground by trying to lower down your heel as much as possible. You should feel the stretch in the back of your leg. Hold the pose for about 15 to 30 seconds and then once again switch legs.
Finally, we have the shoulder stretch. This stretch is very relaxing, as you’ll be sitting down on your mat for it. Simply place one arm over your chest and use your other arm to deepen the stretch by pushing your elbow toward your shoulder. Hold the pose for the 15 to 30 second minimum and then switch arms.
More and more
Have you been on the lookout for an easy to prepare midday snack that will satisfy your hunger to the fullest? After breakfast, lunch is the second most important meal of the day. If you happen to treat yourself well during your first two meals, then you’ll be way less likely to binge during dinnertime, which is when your body should already be slowing down. So if you’ve got 10 minutes to spare and taste buds that are longing for something delicious to devour, then why not try out this healthy Buffalo Chicken Wrap recipe? This recipe is absolutely effortless and low-carb as well. The bold flavor combination will be an exhilarating change from the everyday lunch salad you’ve been scarfing down during lunchtime.
- 1 wrap
- ¼ c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. bleu cheese crumbles
- ⅓ c. cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. buffalo wing sauce
- ¼ c. broccoli cole slaw
- 2 Tbsp. celery, diced
- ⅓ avocado, sliced
- ⅓ c. tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, diced
- Lay your wrap flat and spread with Greek yogurt.
- Top with bleu cheese crumbles. Toss the chicken in the buffalo sauce and layer it on the wrap with remaining ingredients.
- Wrap the sides toward the middle and roll up tightly.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of: thecreativebite.com
More and more
With consumers becoming more and more health conscious about their food choices, many big corporations have taken huge hits to their sales. Customers have begun to demand ‘healthy’ and ‘all natural’ ingredients and corporations have decidedly looked for loopholes to label their products as such. Recently, Kind Bars have been put under scrutiny for their bars that they claim are ‘healthy and tasty’. On their site, Kind describes their bars as, “There’s healthy. There’s tasty. Then, there’s healthy and tasty.” Due to this label, many customers flocked to the bars as a healthy alternative to munch out on junk food.
However, after some due diligence done by the FDA last year, Kind had to remove the “healthy” label from all of their packaging. This year, the FDA has re-evaluated the brand and has allowed them to use the “healthy” label once again. This decision was a result of the FDA looking back into the company’s appeal. The “healthy” label, however, is not to be directed toward the company’s ingredients list, but, instead a simple philosophy that they stand by. The problems that the FDA found with the Kind Company was the large amounts of saturated fat found as well as different regulatory problems associated with the ingredients list. It should be noted, however, that the FDA is still working to determine what exactly “healthy” means when applied to food labels.
This re-evaluation is due to a major petition called the Citizen Petition that was actually filed by the Kind Company.
More and more
It’s time to spice up your dinnertime selections with a recipe jam-packed with flavor that your taste buds will almost explode. No one enjoys eating the same meal night after night, so we’ve decided to look into some great new dishes to make your dinners much more exciting. This Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Wraps is a super easy dish to prepare that is filled with juicy goodness. The entire recipe takes only 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook, leaving you with a delicious dinner dish after only 30 minutes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 sliced pineapple rings
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 pita wraps
- optional: sesame seeds, lettuce, mayo, tomatoes
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Grill for 5-8 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- To create the wraps, place the pita down and then pile on a piece of the grilled chicken, onions, pineapple, and whatever other toppings you’d like. Finish off the wrap with some sesame seeds and teriyaki sauce. You may also add some cilantro as well.
- To create the homemade teriyaki sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 mins.
Recipe courtesy of: lecremedelacrumb.com
More and more
Breakfast is considered one of the most important meals of the day. In fact, if you’ve been skipping out on breakfast altogether then you have truly been doing your body a disservice. Many people claim that their reasoning behind skipping breakfast is due to a lack of options, but we’re here to show you that there are indeed many delicious and healthy breakfast options available to us. With that in mind, we’ve recently discovered a recipe that will absolutely blow you away. This Spinach Quiche Cups recipe is an extremely easy way to start your day off right – also, it’s absolutely delicious!
- Olive oil
- 1 (10 oz) package fresh spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 (8 oz package) mini-bella mushrooms
- 1-2 Tbsp, heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a deep pan or in the skillet that you cooked the mushrooms in. Add a little water, about 1/4 cup. Using medium heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, about 3-4 mins. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Add the cooked mushrooms, spinach, cheeses and cream (if using) to the eggs. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Grab a muffin tray and fill each one in with the mixture.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of: manilaspoon.com
More and more
There’s truly nothing better in the world than indulging in your favorite dessert. Desserts bring joy to many of our hearts and it can be especially difficult to give up sweets when we start to get onto a clean diet. Luckily for you, there are many alternative dessert choices that are absolutely healthy to indulge in. This delicious raspberry chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe is definitely for you!
- 1 cup (100g) instant oats
- ¾ cup (90g) whole wheat
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (28g) coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tbsp (53g) fresh raspberries, diced
- 2 ½ tbsp (35g) miniature chocolate chips, divided
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grabbing a separate bowl, mix together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the maple syrup. Add the flour mixture and stir until everything is mixed up. Gently fold in the raspberries and 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips.
- Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Drop the cookie dough into 15 rounded scoops onto the prepared sheet, and flatten to about half of their original height using a spatula. Gently press the remaining miniature chocolate chips into the tops. Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy of: amyshealthbaking.com
More and more
The summer weather is here and if you haven’t been working on shaping that body then why not start now? It’s never too late to get started on working on the best version of yourself. Whether your goal is to get the body that you’ve always wanted or just to feel more in shape, working out is your best bet for not only this summer, but for every other season. This week, we thought we would focus in on a workout move that will have you getting toned from your head all the way down to your toes. This dumbbell Romanian deadlift will workout your shoulders all the way down to your bottom half.
To start the move off, grab a pair of dumbbells with a weight that you feel comfortable with and hold the weights with an overhand grip in front of your thighs. Then, bend your knees slightly. Bend your body down at your hips until your torso becomes parallel with the ground. Hold the position for a second and then lift your body back up to start. That entire movement counts as one repetition. In order to gain the most results from this workout move you’re going to want to repeat the move for about 15 to 20 reps of 2 to 3 sets. As you continue doing the workout throughout the weeks, gradually increase the weight of your dumbbells in order to challenge your body more and more.
You’ll love the results you’ll see with this easy full body move.
More and more
When it comes to indulging in some fried food goodness, we have a particular weak spot for chimichangas. These tasty treats, however, are pretty hard to ingest on a regular basis as they are usually super greasy. Greasy fried food is usually a huge no-no, especially if you’re trying to stick to a healthy diet. However, we’ve uncovered a baked chicken chimichanga recipe that eliminates all of the problems associated with fried ones. This recipe is the perfect substitute that you can easily make in the comfort of your own home.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place about ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.
Recipe courtesy of: the-girl-who-ate-everything.com
More and more