When it comes to summertime dinner plans, it always pays off to stick to a lighter dish. As a matter of fact, the easier the recipe is the better. No one wants to sweat inside of a hot kitchen when it’s already boiling outdoors. With the summer weather approaching quickly by, here at Healthiac, we decided to look into an easy to make salad recipe that takes only 25 minutes to prepare. This Broccoli Pasta Salad dish is the perfect dish for anyone looking to engage their taste buds without putting in copious amounts of work in the kitchen. After you’ve prepared the dish, you can save the leftovers in the fridge for the next two days.
- 4 cups cooked bow-tie pasta
- 7 sweet mini peppers (orange, yellow and red), diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 to 1 cup three cheese ranch dressing
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- slivered almonds (optional)
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain and rinse in warm water.
- Seed, then dice peppers, and chop broccoli into small bite size florets and pieces.
- In a large bowl, put peppers, broccoli, cranberries and pasta.
- Pour dressing over ingredients, and mix well until all ingredients are coated with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Top with slivered almonds (optional) before serving.
Recipe courtesy of: walmart.com
Is there really anything better than working out and seeing your body transform right before your very eyes? Ok, disregarding eating your favorite slice of pizza and pigging out in front of the TV with your Netflix queue, the effects of working out can have you feeling absolutely amazing about yourself and your life. For the past couple of years, workout focus has been extremely geared toward having a super round and toned behind. Whether it’s because of the Kim Kardashian obsession or the fact that all of us have realized that big booty’s really do rule, this new focus has shaped up some amazing workouts for us all.
Here’s a great variation on the basic squat that will have you feeling the burn in your lower body. This sumo squat move is easy, fun and will have you rocking a fab booty in those summer short shorts. To start the move off, grab a dumbbell with a weight that you feel comfortable using. Hold onto the heavy end of one side of the dumbbell and keep it parallel in front of you. Place your feet about twice as wide as shoulder width and point your toes outward. Push your hips back and lower your body down, making sure to bend your knees. Hold the position for a second and then push yourself back up to start. That entire movement counts as one rep.
In order to really feel the burn, perform the move for at least 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps.
Have you been on the lookout for an easy to prepare midday snack that will satisfy your hunger to the fullest? After breakfast, lunch is the second most important meal of the day. If you happen to treat yourself well during your first two meals, then you’ll be way less likely to binge during dinnertime, which is when your body should already be slowing down. So if you’ve got 10 minutes to spare and taste buds that are longing for something delicious to devour, then why not try out this healthy Buffalo Chicken Wrap recipe? This recipe is absolutely effortless and low-carb as well. The bold flavor combination will be an exhilarating change from the everyday lunch salad you’ve been scarfing down during lunchtime.
- 1 wrap
- ¼ c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. bleu cheese crumbles
- ⅓ c. cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. buffalo wing sauce
- ¼ c. broccoli cole slaw
- 2 Tbsp. celery, diced
- ⅓ avocado, sliced
- ⅓ c. tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, diced
- Lay your wrap flat and spread with Greek yogurt.
- Top with bleu cheese crumbles. Toss the chicken in the buffalo sauce and layer it on the wrap with remaining ingredients.
- Wrap the sides toward the middle and roll up tightly.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of: thecreativebite.com
With consumers becoming more and more health conscious about their food choices, many big corporations have taken huge hits to their sales. Customers have begun to demand ‘healthy’ and ‘all natural’ ingredients and corporations have decidedly looked for loopholes to label their products as such. Recently, Kind Bars have been put under scrutiny for their bars that they claim are ‘healthy and tasty’. On their site, Kind describes their bars as, “There’s healthy. There’s tasty. Then, there’s healthy and tasty.” Due to this label, many customers flocked to the bars as a healthy alternative to munch out on junk food.
However, after some due diligence done by the FDA last year, Kind had to remove the “healthy” label from all of their packaging. This year, the FDA has re-evaluated the brand and has allowed them to use the “healthy” label once again. This decision was a result of the FDA looking back into the company’s appeal. The “healthy” label, however, is not to be directed toward the company’s ingredients list, but, instead a simple philosophy that they stand by. The problems that the FDA found with the Kind Company was the large amounts of saturated fat found as well as different regulatory problems associated with the ingredients list. It should be noted, however, that the FDA is still working to determine what exactly “healthy” means when applied to food labels.
This re-evaluation is due to a major petition called the Citizen Petition that was actually filed by the Kind Company.
It’s time to spice up your dinnertime selections with a recipe jam-packed with flavor that your taste buds will almost explode. No one enjoys eating the same meal night after night, so we’ve decided to look into some great new dishes to make your dinners much more exciting. This Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Wraps is a super easy dish to prepare that is filled with juicy goodness. The entire recipe takes only 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook, leaving you with a delicious dinner dish after only 30 minutes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 sliced pineapple rings
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 pita wraps
- optional: sesame seeds, lettuce, mayo, tomatoes
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Grill for 5-8 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- To create the wraps, place the pita down and then pile on a piece of the grilled chicken, onions, pineapple, and whatever other toppings you’d like. Finish off the wrap with some sesame seeds and teriyaki sauce. You may also add some cilantro as well.
- To create the homemade teriyaki sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 mins.
Recipe courtesy of: lecremedelacrumb.com
Being a working mother and wife can be a full-time job that never ends. Taking care of the family and work can be incredibly stressful and at times, it can completely deplete us of our energy. Since dinnertime is such an important moment for many families, it also becomes another thing for us to obsess over and worry about. However, with the amount of healthy and easy recipe options available to us these days, dinner doesn’t have to be a big deal. Check out this easy to make baked chicken nuggets recipe that is egg, dairy and gluten free. You and the whole family will be able to enjoy these bite-size nuggets as you sit around the dinnertime with smiles all around.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup of almond or whole grain gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- avocado oil
- Cut chicken into small chunks, about 1 – 1½ inch chunks. Place in bowl.
- Mix flour with seasonings.
- Sprinkle flour and seasoning mixture over chicken and mix well to coat thoroughly.
- Melt avocado oil. Drizzle over chicken to lightly coat.
- Bake in preheated oven (425 degrees for convection / 450 for conventional) until chicken’s internal temperature reaches 180 degrees (about 10 minutes for a convection oven).
Recipe courtesy of: wholenewmom.com
If there were one vegetable that can be used in a variety of ways it would definitely be the zucchini. Zucchini can take any bland dish and turn it into something tasty and exciting. One of our personal favorite zucchini dishes is the coconut flour zucchini bread. This zucchini bread recipe is perfect as a side dish for your dinner meal or as a quick and easy breakfast treat. The entire prep times takes around 15 minutes and the cooking time takes 45 minutes.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups raw unpeeled grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Mixture will be very thick.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into 2 loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
Recipe courtesy of: food.com
Breakfast is considered one of the most important meals of the day. In fact, if you’ve been skipping out on breakfast altogether then you have truly been doing your body a disservice. Many people claim that their reasoning behind skipping breakfast is due to a lack of options, but we’re here to show you that there are indeed many delicious and healthy breakfast options available to us. With that in mind, we’ve recently discovered a recipe that will absolutely blow you away. This Spinach Quiche Cups recipe is an extremely easy way to start your day off right – also, it’s absolutely delicious!
- Olive oil
- 1 (10 oz) package fresh spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 (8 oz package) mini-bella mushrooms
- 1-2 Tbsp, heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a deep pan or in the skillet that you cooked the mushrooms in. Add a little water, about 1/4 cup. Using medium heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, about 3-4 mins. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Add the cooked mushrooms, spinach, cheeses and cream (if using) to the eggs. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Grab a muffin tray and fill each one in with the mixture.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of: manilaspoon.com
There’s truly nothing better in the world than indulging in your favorite dessert. Desserts bring joy to many of our hearts and it can be especially difficult to give up sweets when we start to get onto a clean diet. Luckily for you, there are many alternative dessert choices that are absolutely healthy to indulge in. This delicious raspberry chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe is definitely for you!
- 1 cup (100g) instant oats
- ¾ cup (90g) whole wheat
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (28g) coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 6 tbsp (53g) fresh raspberries, diced
- 2 ½ tbsp (35g) miniature chocolate chips, divided
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grabbing a separate bowl, mix together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the maple syrup. Add the flour mixture and stir until everything is mixed up. Gently fold in the raspberries and 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips.
- Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Drop the cookie dough into 15 rounded scoops onto the prepared sheet, and flatten to about half of their original height using a spatula. Gently press the remaining miniature chocolate chips into the tops. Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy of: amyshealthbaking.com
The summer weather is here and if you haven’t been working on shaping that body then why not start now? It’s never too late to get started on working on the best version of yourself. Whether your goal is to get the body that you’ve always wanted or just to feel more in shape, working out is your best bet for not only this summer, but for every other season. This week, we thought we would focus in on a workout move that will have you getting toned from your head all the way down to your toes. This dumbbell Romanian deadlift will workout your shoulders all the way down to your bottom half.
To start the move off, grab a pair of dumbbells with a weight that you feel comfortable with and hold the weights with an overhand grip in front of your thighs. Then, bend your knees slightly. Bend your body down at your hips until your torso becomes parallel with the ground. Hold the position for a second and then lift your body back up to start. That entire movement counts as one repetition. In order to gain the most results from this workout move you’re going to want to repeat the move for about 15 to 20 reps of 2 to 3 sets. As you continue doing the workout throughout the weeks, gradually increase the weight of your dumbbells in order to challenge your body more and more.
You’ll love the results you’ll see with this easy full body move.